Thursday, August 20, 2015

Watkins Glen Summer Jam 1973

When I was 20, I set out with three other friends from Boston for a concert that I will never forget. 600,000 young people making their way to Watkins Glen race track in upstate NY. I remember driving as far as we could through miles of endless traffic that Friday afternoon and night. We arrived at 11pm and walked 8 hours on a road, up a hill from where the car was parked. "Follow the crowd" is what everyone would say. The sights I witnessed and the kick ass jams I heard, will live on forever.

"Many historians claimed that the Watkins Glen event was the largest gathering of people in the United States. In essence, that meant on July 28, one out of every 350 people living in America at the time was listening to sounds of rock at the New York state race track...and close to one out of every three young people from Boston to New York was at the festival."
Touch Of Grey  -  The Grateful Dead
Statesboro Blues  -  The Allman Brothers
The Weight  -  The Band
One Way Out  -  The Allman Brothers
Uncle John's Band  -  The Grateful Dead



No comments:

Post a Comment